When migrating to the cloud, there are a number of strategies to consider when assessing your portfolio of applications. For each application, you will need to decide what approach to use for migrating to the cloud. There are a number of “R” models published by Microsoft and Gartner but in this article, we share the Valorem model.
Definition of 5 “R”s
Let's use SQL Server on premise as an example. 1. Retire - The application is end of life and will be decommissioned.
- SQL example: Backup the database, put the backup on cold storage and set data retention to your corporate data retention policy.
2. Replace - The application, as currently designed, will be replaced with a SaaS or COTS (Commercial off the shelf) solution.
- SQL example: You have a custom HR SQL resume repository and migrate the data to a SaaS service like PayPro Workforce Management.
3. Refactor -Also called Redesign, Rearchitect, Rebuild. This is where you make code changes to leverage native cloud technology.
- SQL example: Move your SQL Server data to a more cloud native solution like Azure SQL or Cosmos DB.
- For a whole application, you might move your presentation tier to web apps, your service tier to logic apps and refactor some functions into azure functions.
- If you have an internet scale application, then solutions like Service Fabric or Kubernetes may be appropriate.
4. Right-size - Also called Rehost, this is where you move it to the cloud appropriate scale, targeting steady run state vs peak
- For SQL Server you can scale up and down the VM, for Azure SQL you can scale out as well including auto-scale
- Note: Rehost has the connotation that you are not considering resizing down from peak
5. Remain -– Not always listed as an R (4 vs 5 Rs), but in the case where you are not pushing to stop using on premise
- Remain is an option for solutions that are on archaic environments which you wish to sustain or need as an archive vs move
Valorem Reply’s Cloud Migration Assessment gives clients an in-depth look at the latest technologies and accelerates their journey with a custom roadmap to implement or revive their cloud migration goals. Learn More.
You can also consider our Cloud Migration Accelerator solution that provides a comprehensive set of templates, a foundational organizational data model, a fully functional executive dashboard and a robust migration automation platform. Learn More.
Valorem Reply offers a variety of IT Modernization solutions to help at any stage of your cloud journey. To speak with one of our Cloud Strategy, Adoption, and Optimization Specialists, reach out to us at email@example.com.